I've finished Splintered!

Saturday, February 1, 2014

    "Curiouser and curiouser!"
   What a great book. I've never read Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (even though I have the book) but now I want to! It probably would've made reading the book more fun because I could have drawn parallels between them. Even though I gave a somewhat synopsis in my last post, I'll give a more organized one on this post.

    Alyssa can hear bugs and plants speak to her. Her mother, Allison is in an asylum after an incident with gardening shears, roses, Alyssa's hands and a moth. After a frightening experience while visiting her mom Alyssa starts to figure out why Allison is in an asylum and how she can help, by going down the rabbit hole. Who else but Jeb, her neighbor/childhood friend/crush, follows her to Wonderland and they try to break this curse set upon Alyssa's family starting with her great-grandmother, Alice. There's plot twists, mystery, wonderful fantasy and romance throughout the book.
(I was purposely vague because I would like to allow people to go into this book with a sense of curiosity about the story. Because isn't that what got Alice in trouble in the first place in the original story? She was just so curious!)

    Now this is part of the review that will contain spoilers. So if you don't want to know, stop reading right here!!


    Jeb and Alyssa *sigh*. But the Morpheus snuck up on me at the end! Throughout the whole book I was rooting for Jeb, as Morpheus was a selfish jerk, but then the end happened. Argh, I usually don't like love triangles but this one seems like it may be bearable for the simple fact is that I like both of them. They each have their own characteristics and they're pretty opposite of one another. It just shows the two different sides of Alyssa! Also, both of them care about her and both of them sacrificed themselves for Alyssa. But I think Jeb's sacrifice was a bit more selfless and was somehow more worthy. I mean, come on, he literally bleed to death and was going to be trapped in the box for eternity all to save Alyssa! Morpheus may have jumped down the Jabberwock's throat but I think he knew that he would escape. I loved the plot twist at the end! I would've never guess Alyssa was a descendant of the red queen!!

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

I can't wait to read the sequel! Hopefully it won't turn into one of those annoying love triangles though... I'll guess I'll just have to see!

I hope you have a wonderful day,
Emily

P.S. Please bear with me on my new blog. I've never had a blog before so it's a learning process for me!

6 comments:

Zia Bee said...

Hey Emily!

Awesome review, I love Alice in Wonderland's story, I'll have to read this book sometime:) Congrats on starting a new blog, I know it's hard work to get it up and running especially at the beginning.
If you have a moment to spare, please come check out my book blog? It's called Zia's Book Wonderland and I also just began it this January, inspired by the Booktube community and Goodreads:) So I'm new at this too, haha.

Anyways, I'll be following your blog from now on, you can count on it!

From,
Zia

Zia Bee said...

Oh btw, haha I forgot to add the link to my blog:P

http://www.ziasbookwonderland.blogspot.ca

Miley Ann said...

Thanks Zia! You're so sweet! I'm following your blog now :). We can be new together, haha!

Miley Ann said...

Also, thank you for liking my review!

Book Lover Recommends said...

I've been having this on my TBR list for quite a while now and can't decide if I'm going to read it at some point. I'm not really a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland, but I've heard a lot of good things about Splintered. Also, I'm not a fan of love-triangles either, but if you say it's actually a good one, I might just have to pick this book up :)
Btw I really like your new blog, it has a very nice look :) New follower! Good luck with your blog adventure :D

Miley Ann said...

Thank you for following me and thank you for liking my blog Book Lover Recommends!! :) Yeah, love triangles was what kind of put me off about the clockwork princess but everyone says it's really good so maybe I'll read it. I think you'll enjoy the story even if you don't like Alice in Wonderland. If you like fantasy you'll like it :)
Thanks for commenting!
Emily

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Emily's Novel Adventures 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.